Saturday, September 3, 2011

Back on Track

Yesterday, I did a few auditions but also put a lot of work into making a Portable studio,  I bought some aurelex acoustic foam off of craigs list and a box to put it in and it seems pretty awesome. I even have a makeshift pop filter. So, when I go to Atlanta I will be ready to ROLL!  Other than that, I had to redo the Mission job again, still waiting on word back if everything went well with that. We'll see, but these days are going by quicker and quicker.


ON TO TODAY~!!!!

Okay so no word from Zspace, i think it's officially no GO. But, I'm over it. So, instead of getting a call from them today I woke up to EVEN BETTER NEWS.

1) I WON A VOICEOVER CONTEST

Edge Studio does a weekly contest where you do a side and the award for 1st place is 2 Months of their webinars thats about 150 bucks worth of training. I really thought I did a good job with this mp3 but it wasn't getting votes and I kind of thought, maybe I'm just kidding myself because I literally thought it was the best. The only thing I regret was making the character meaner and shaving some time but I thought it was good. Anyways here the contest.


Director's Notes:
We're casting the voice of Gully the Seagull, for a new Saturday morning cartoon on Discovery Kids. Gully is very interesting: Gully has a huge attitude and is always getting into trouble with other birds at the beach. The other birds would describe Gully as bossy, overly confident and as impatient as they come. But while Gully may be rude, Gully is also fun and knows how to have a good time! Please give us one take of the following script without a slate.
Script Title:
Gully the Seagull
Script:
So, what's it like bein' a seagull, you ask? Well, it's TOUGH, TOUGH I tell ya! Ya gotta be ready to move at a moment's notice... hold on a sec. (quick pause)
WING! Chicken wing! IN-bound!
(Disappointed) Agh.. just missed it. Anyway, like I was sayin' ya gotta be quick, there's lots of competition and these other gulls, I... tell...YOU, they don't give ANY gull a second chance. Hold it...
TATER TOT! I got dibs!

Recording:
Click to hear Justintorres's recording He's not afraid to have fun, and this scored him many points. He incorporated that fun delivery into an established character. However, that character needed more of what was asked for: attitude. As good as this performance was, it did have some repetitiveness that would have been better avoided. For example, the word "tough," which is used twice, sounded much alike in both cases (by the way, the second one sounds clipped.) Technically, a few sounds are cut off (such as the "j" in "just"). This might have been caused by a gate having been set too high and/or overly tight editing.


It's kind of a double edge sword but I definitely agree with the critique, I should have put the attitude in and the J is lost. BUT I WON! And here's the recording URL. See if you like it too!

http://justindtorres.com/media/Justin%20D%20Torres%20-%20Gully%20The%20Seagull.mp3


2) A Possible job offer was on the table. The guy asked for redo of the audition which is apparently a NO no is Voices.com so I do it........ And it doesn't go to me....... ARGH! But the guy seemed really cool and he said he put me on his favorite list. So, we'll see. So heres the link to the redo. Enjoy!

http://justindtorres.com/media/JTorres%20Happinness%202.mp3


Other than that, still waiting on a lot of things. I did quite a few voice123 auditions and some voicealliance and voiceover club auditions, just getting out there, we'll see. With the long weekend ahead, the jobs may be down but I think I may just have to try my darndest to win those jobs.

I think I'm getting into a new stage of voiceover. Now the auditions are taking longer, I'm directing myself more and I'm getting better. Time to target.

No comments:

Post a Comment